Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sunday Boyfriend


So, yesterday I was at the park on Myrtle street with the child (yes, I am a nanny to a 2 and a half year old) and next to me sitting on the bench was another nanny jabbering away on her Blackberry while the children she watched fought for her attention. When I got bored of watching small children run around, as I do every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, I tuned into her conversation just as it started to get interesting.

"You know, and I told him, I'm only looking for a Sunday boyfriend right now. So it's either that, or nothing at all." She said to someone on the other side of the phone line. And as I pondered what the term "Sunday boyfriend" could possibly mean, she went on to explain the same to her perplexed friend.

"I just don't have time for a boyfriend, I want someone to hang out with all day on Sundays and then go home to their own place on Sunday night, then see them again the next week."

And I couldn't help but wonder: is sex and the Sunday boyfriend replacing church and family game night? And if so, where can I find myself one of these Sunday only boyfriends?
I discussed this idea with several of my friends and came to the conclusion that many women love the idea of the Sunday boyfriend: he's consistent yet still spontaneous, something to look forward to while still maintaining your Friday night routine, and after a long hard week is over and before a long hard new week begins there he is, at your apartment, fulfilling all your needs in just a days time.

For me personally the Sunday boyfriend wouldn't work out. Even God needed a day of rest and my Sundays are my time, though that's not the only reason this wouldn't be a good fit for me. Kind of like my holey ex-boyfriend jeans, I like to wear them more than once a week. They are comfortable and my love for them on Sunday remains the same on Thursday: passionate and unconditional.

No comments:

Post a Comment