Sunday, June 21, 2009

Same Sex Saunas, safe?


Today I was at the gym, working on my Gwen Stefani abs because let's face it: after last nights No Doubt concert I realized if she can have those abs at 40 after two kids, I need them by October when I'll be turning 25...shit just got real.

After my intensive sweat session I decided to go into the steam room, to sweat out my toxins and replenish my stomach flatness. I'm a fan of the same sex sauna and steam room because then I don't have to worry about, 1. wearing clothing and 2. creepy men looking at me. Much to my delight I found the steam room placed by the showers in the women's locker room and without a second thought I stripped down, grabbed a towel and proceeded into the eucolyptus scented fog.

Four other women sat on the risers already, but for some reason all of them were clothed. Refusing to feel awkward about my natural state of nakedness, I walked in, laid down my towel and sat down among these clothed women. I was in there barely five minutes when I noticed that one of the women would not stop staring at me, every time I looked away and looked back there were her eyes, not afraid to meet mine. I started getting self conscious, was I weird for going into a same sex steam room in the nude? But no, they were the odd ones, fully clothed while sweat clung to their garments; I was free, sweat dripping onto the towel I laid underneath me.

So after a good ten minutes of this thirty something woman giving me the stink eye I decided to stare back... because after all, if I want to be judged at the gym I can always go to a spin class, I don't need judgment when I'm wearing my most vulnerable outfit. Her eyes met mine and with little hesitation she said to me, "I'm sorry, I can't stop staring at your boobs." I instinctively looked down at my boobs, there they were, like they always are and so not knowing what else to do me and my boobs got up and walked out.

If I wanted boob commentary I could get it elsewhere thank you very much. Now my safe place from judgment has been robbed from me, my same sex steam room haven to sweat out toxins has itself become toxic. But now I can't help but laugh about it, because really, what were all those women hiding underneath it all?

1 comment:

  1. Haha! You know why she was staring at them!

    ReplyDelete